Thursday, April 25, 2013

Ride Day 69

Yesterday I took the day off after my brutal ride from the Bay Area to Bodega Bay I was beat up.  I know it was my first day back on the road after a long break but still I was shocked by how tired I got.  Karen stayed at Bodega Bay with me and we explored the small town and surrounding area.  I enjoyed it even though I still felt very punk all day long.  The Doran Park campground was nice and quiet to boot, with lots of wildlife around.

The next morning I packed my bags and Karen gave me a ride to the edge of town and I started off again.  I took my time and rested often to make sure I would not have the cramp problems again that I had on my ride from the Bay Area to Bodega Bay.  I made it to Salt Point state park after a very enjoyable ride along the coast.  It seemed like I was climbing hills all day with the headwind combined with the rolling hills.  There was only one serious grade that I managed to get over by just resting often and enjoying the views instead of pushing myself to exhaustion again like I did earlier. 

The coastline is beautiful.  There are so many nice coves and lookouts with killer views that it gets old after a while.  I took a lot of pics which is just as indicative of how relaxed of a pace I was going for as because I wanted to take a lot of pics.  I tried to upload the pics and my Garmin profile but this internet connection will not allow me to crunch that much data so pics will have to come later.  I could shrink the pics down maybe and get them up but I just do not feel like bothering with it.  All my pics get uploaded to so you can go there to view them all.

At the campground there was no shower just a primitive camp site with water and the campground was empty except for me.  I put up my tent and rested for a while then I found a tick on me and I stripped down to look and found two more ticks.  Did I say I hate ticks yet?  They came off rather easily but I will be more careful in the future.  I did not sleep well due to pain problems but that is just part of life for me.  In the morning I saw a movement outside my tent and I raised my head up to look and a small cougar was turning tail and running away.  It put it's tail up in the air and did a quick spin and it was gone.  I wanted to go over and try to get pics of the footprints but then I thought about the ticks and I rolled back over and tried to get some more rest.  I felt much better by around 7 am.  I will ride to Manchester now.

No comments:

Post a Comment