Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ride Day 19









I left Quartsite early today. My ride started out on the interstate 10. I climbed about 1000' but it was a slow climb and I had very little trouble with it. After a dozen miles on the nice smooth interstate I switched to US60. The ride was nice scenery wise but the road was a bit rough. The scenery went back and forth from high to low to arid deserts with rough rocky mountains. I took more pics today which are all on Jimfrogs@Blogspot.com.

Today's ride was about 75 miles with about 2000' of climbing. I did it without a problem and considered going another 31 miles but then did the math and decided that my tired old body did not need another century ride. I am holding up quite well physically. Other than my slight loss of power and cramps from Oceanside to Live Oak Springs I have felt pretty strong for an old man.

I again was thinking about the pioneers today as I walked out into the desert a few times and got stuck by spines, worried about snakes and scorpions and just tried to picture the first people trying to push through this dry, rough, tough terrain. I was again impressed by what they had to do to get through this area.

Today I saw coyotes, California quail, jackrabbits and a road runner. The roadrunner ran right up to my bike just like one did back in Bakersfield last year. The jack rabbit displayed why they are the main food source by not running away from me but rather posing for a pic. I still have not come across any snakes other than a single baby gopher snake just outside of Live Oak Springs. I did enjoy seeing the various cacti. Everything is blooming as I go through because of recent rains. There are lots of wild flowers but I can only take so many of the same types of flowers.

I am camping here in Aguila next to the Coyote Bar. Tomorrow off to Phoenix...

No comments:

Post a Comment