Sunday, May 31, 2015

Rain and Headwind Delay

I expected to ride south today but after a night of rain I woke up to more cold rain and high winds out of the south. Needless to say I bailed on the plans to ride this morning. I went over to the cafe across the street and had breakfast and coffee instead. It may be a good thing that the weather delayed me because I had another bad night of pain last night. Maybe one more day of rest will help me get past this little health problem.

I enjoyed talking with the locals at the cafe. They are all very friendly in these small Aussie towns. At one point while we were talking the rain turned into snow flurries and then into sleet. They all looked at me like I was crazy as that was coming down and asked me what I would do if I was caught out in weather like this. I pointed out that I have been caught out in way worse weather like up on Mount Cook in New Zealand or on Big Sur in California both places where I got caught in freezing sleet and high wind with much colder temps than what the city of Eden has. I have my wet weather gear and a tent to hole up in if need be. My bags are all watertight also so I am prepared. I am also not opposed to stopping and asking for shelter at a farm or where ever I happen to be near. But being prepared for bad weather is different from leaving in bad, cold, wet weather. I will not intentionally ride in this crapola if I am able to avoid it.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment