Thursday, June 4, 2015

Eden to Genoa Australia

I finally got some dry weather today so I packed up and hit the road by 7:30 this morning. Within the first kilometer the hills started with a long steep grade leaving the town of Eden. It had me sweating right from the get go today. It was 4C or upper 30sF so it was cold and the sweating and cold can be a dangerous mix. Hypothermia is a possibility so I had to be careful. I tried to slow down to reduce the sweating and I took off some layers but then I got cold and had to put some clothes back on. It was like that all day cold and hot at the same time. My body must have been getting confused by all the contradicting info being sent to my brain.

I counted the grades today. There were 24 grades that made me go all the way down to first gear. The longest was about a half hour to spin to the top. There were a lot of 10-15 minute climbs and some longer and some shorter ones too. There was no flat section. The wind was blowing at about 20mph and as I climbed the grades the wind increased. Then going down the grades the wind was slowing me so much I had to pedal sometimes to keep going.

As I sit here in a free campground right now my face and lips feel like they are wind burned. I stopped here in this campground because it suddenly clouded over and looked like it was going to rain so I dashed here for protection. The camp has toilets and tables and BBQs but no drinking water. The town of Genoa looks like it is a ghost town with two closed hotels, closed pub, closed cafe and lots of abandoned buildings around. There was a woman sitting on her porch and I was going to ask her if there was any drinking water available in town but she ran into her house and closed the door when she saw me approaching. Seems kind of like a Hitchcock town to me. There are some other RVers here so I will try to get some drinking water from them. The next place to get water is 50 km or 30 miles away. Not much for pics today. and wifi is too slow to post em.

No comments:

Post a Comment